Markham Union Lodge No. 87 was instituted in
Our Lodge has enjoyed a long and storied history in Markham, Ontario,
Canada. With many of our Past Masters of the lodge being active in
the Town of Markham as huge contributors to its growth and development
over the years. Not only our long line of Past Masters, but our brethren
in general have been outstanding members in the craft and also in the
community. The Town of Markham itself was named by the first Lieutenant
Governor of Upper Canada, Colonel John Graves Simcoe shortly after his
appointment in 1791.
Col.Simcoe himself being a celebrated Freemason
The familiar name of the Reesor family appears in our lodge history as
well with four of the Reesor family descendants serving as Masters of
Our first Master of the Lodge was W Bro.
William Campbell, who upon receiving the Lodge Charter or Warrant of
Constitution from the Grand Lodge in 1857, sat for the term of one year
before being replaced by the following Master and the long line who followed
him on an annual basis as is the way of Freemasonry.
Our First Master, W Bro. William Campbell
Since then, over 160 years have passed and over 130 men
have served as Master of Markham Union Lodge No.87.
Today, our lodge membership consists of men from all walks of life who
in their likemindedness, enjoy the fellowship of each other through the
practice of Freemasonry. No matter our position in life, whether we be
doctors or lawyers, plumbers or ploughmen, engineers or labourers, we
all meet as equals and on the level when we sit in lodge together. This
act in practice and of itself is still extraordinary even today. It is
a part of what makes the craft so meaningful and purposeful to all who
enjoy membership under its banners.
The craft, is a term often used in Masonry today. Where some jurisdictions
use the term Blue Lodge, in our jurisdiction we use the term Craft Lodge.
Freemasonry being a craft, an art and a science, it follows that this
is the structure of the teachings in the order.
Our Lodge has moved around over the years first meeting at Anthony Size's
Hotel in Unionville from 1857 to 1858.
In 1858 through 1872, the lodge
met at the Wellington Hotel in Markham which was located on the corner
of Wellington and Main street.
In 1872, the lodge held its meetings
at the Orange Hall on the corner of Church and George street and stayed
there until 1882.
In 1882, the lodge started meeting in what is now the
Old Town Hall on Markham Main Street. Our lodge stayed at this location
the longest and remained there until 1959 when it moved to the Old Markham
High School at the corner of Albert and Joseph Streets in Markham.
our lodge convened until 2004 when it once again moved. This time up
the road into Stouffville where it met at the Stouffville Masonic Temple
until 2007 when it then moved to the Thornhill Masonic Temple at 30 Elgin
Street where it met until 2010.
Our lodge moved to its current location
at 4953 Old Brock road in the Hamlet of Claremont in 2010.
In Freemasonry, it is not uncommon to travel. To sit
with other brethren in other lodges and enjoy the larger scope of fellowship
in Freemasonry in all its places to be found. The itinerant history of
our own lodge figuratively reflects that traveling spirit. Where light
may be found, there you will find us seeking it as well.
We meet on the second(2nd) and fourth(4th) Wednesdays of each month excluding
the months of July and August when lodge is closed for those summer months.